Monday, April 6, 2015

Loving Your Best Friend

It's late, and I may regret this, but I have reached a conundrum.  And yes, like always, it's a girl.

The girl herself is not the conundrum; it's me liking her.

I normally talk about other girls to her, because I talk to her about a lot of things, but now, it's weird.

I really don't know how to describe it.

Because now I like her, and how can I talk to her about her?

I can't, that's how.  And I hate it.

Because sure, I can talk to her about one girl that I actually do really like, but then when I'm talking to her about the one girl, I realize how beautiful she is, and it's... frustrating.

Because now I feel weird talking to my best friend, because I want to be more than best friends with her, and her instinct to me pretending to kiss her led to her making a noise resembling that of a dinosaur.

This is the part of the blog where I start addressing her.  You can keep on reading if you so please.

I know I was joking then, and you were joking, but if I actually wanted to kiss you, would you be okay with that?  Because guess what?  I really want to kiss you.  I kept thinking about you the whole time I was at my stepfamily's house, and I wasn't sure why, but then I realized something.

I missed you.

And I've spent several days away from a family I love before, and I didn't even miss them.

But I missed you, and I didn't know how to feel about it, and I still don't.

I would be such a good boyfriend to you, and you know that, but I kinda wish it was actually a thing.

And I know you like that other guy, and I know I like that other girl, and I know in four months I'll be in Japan, but I just wish I could tell you how much I love you.

How the only reason I like B-days is because I get to see you and talk to you for that little bit in the morning, even though you're always super tired, yet you look so adorable.

How you laugh at the dumb little things I say that people don't normally hear me say but that I find hilarious.  Because I'm funny, and I love how you notice it.

How you write beautiful songs, and we had that silly little Disney Channel moment during intermission of Winter's Tale, and even if you thought I was just being funny, I was, but I was also captivated by how beautifully you play music.

How despite you sometimes doing things that bug me, or saying something that I don't agree with, or saying that I'm wrong about something, I still can't help myself from remaining your friend, because we just make sense as friends.  And I think we'd make sense as romantic partners.  Heck, everyone else thinks we're dating, so that should be some sort of sign.

Look, I'm not guilt-tripping you to be my girlfriend, because it's a little late for that at this point.  But I really hope you're still around when I get back from Japan.  And if you're in some other part of the world doing the same thing I'm gonna do in Japan when I get back, then I'll probably wait for you.

This may just be my late-night hormonal brain talking, but I really mean all this stuff.  I feel like you're better than me, which is exactly the kind of person I want to fall in love with.  You are so freaking beautiful.  Like oh my goodness.  Personality, face, body, talent, you.  It's all perfect.

You know that song we sing together to prove to people that we sound good together?  That's literally how I feel about you.  If we do end up getting married, and that song doesn't play at our wedding, then we done messed up, son.

In all seriousness, we still have a lot to learn about each other, and a lot of trust to build, but the best day of my life would be to realize that I can spout off any fact about you, kiss you whenever I want, and tell you "I love you" everyday.

And for you to be okay with it.

9 comments:

  1. if most guys read this and understood it, theyd understand what goes through a girls mind. you just understand!!! i don know how you figured this out but im glad you did. youre a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ............ So, i'm crying.............

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i really am crying. im sitting here at my computer and im crying. but thats a good thing. because it was also this post that made me finally text this boy even though i know he probably won't respond.

    really, i just want to say something to this girl your writing about. maybe she'll see this, maybe she won't. either way, darling, you need to know that all the time we waste our moments and we waste our words and you never know when you won't have anymore to waste. so don't. you have something and even if you like this other boy, make sure because a.s ketchum could change his mind and let me tell you that hurts a whole heck of a lot worse than you would think.

    haha ok now that ive written a novel, this post really is great. and ive always been a fan of this and i think i always will be. just so you know:) please don't stop because this is amazing and i need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has read this comment, just so you know. In fact, she's the girl crying in the comment above yours. Thank you for this comment, it means a lot. Good luck with the boy you texted, I hope things work out :)

      Delete
  4. You're amazing my friend. Never do you cease to amaze me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I feel like i need to write about this too... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen... I just... you and I have a lot in common, you know. This hurts my heart so much because these words are words that run through my head and my heart every day and I just... I feel you, man.

    Love hurts.

    Loving your best friend hurts.

    I don't have any advice, because I'm in the same boat, and neither of us know if it ever would or could work out but... I get it. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete